Up to $100 worth of free books for booking an Elementary School visit!
In conjunction with Scholastic Canada, I’m pleased to offer up to ten copies of Very Serious Children for your school or classroom library or as reading prizes. Book a visit here.
Caroline Adderson has taught writing for over a decade in the Simon Fraser University’s Writing and Publishing program. She has been on the faculty of SFU’s Writer’s Studio, UBC’s Creative Writing Master’s Program, Booming Ground, Wired Writing at the Banff Centre for the Arts, the Victoria School of Writing and the University of Guelph. She is an experienced workshop presenter to readers and writers of all ages.
Caroline’s Bookmaking for Parents and Kids workshop was developed for Vancouver Public Library and Richmond Public Library. During this two-part workshop Caroline guides parents and kids through the process of immortalizing their own adventures in a simple story. In part two, a professional illustrator shows how published picture books are created. Families leave the workshop with a hard cover picture book they wrote and illustrated themselves, a permanent memento to treasure and hand down.
Caroline’s interactive 60-minute presentations are for groups of up to 60 students based on a specific book: I, Bruno and Bruno For Real, Very Serious Children, Jasper John Dooley, Star of the Week or Middle of Nowhere. The presentation includes a reading, activities, a question period, and a book signing. Books may be purchased at a discount, though advanced notice is needed to arrange for this.
Caroline also offers an informative 60-minute presentation on how books are written and published. Writing and Publishing Books leads children through the process from the generation of ideas to the published book.
Caroline’s presentations at the high school level include readings from her teen and adult fiction, discussion of the creative process, publishing tips, a question period and a book signing. Books may be purchased at a discount, though advanced notice is needed to arrange for this. Caroline also offers a 2-hour writing workshop for teens, Becoming a Writer, which she developed for the Teen Book Camp during her tenure as the 2008 Vancouver Public Library Writer-in-Residence.
Caroline’s school visit rates are set by CWILL and CANSCAIP. She charges $250 for a 60-minute presentation. The fee for her 2-hour teen workshop Becoming a Writer is $400. The fee for Bookmaking for Parents and Kids is $500. GST is additional. Discounts are available for multiple presentations in the same school or neighbouring schools. Two or more visits on the same day are $225 each plus GST.
Grade 1 Feedback, The Mabin School, Toronto
“I like all the detale you pote. I ♥ you and
“Thak you for cameing!”
“You are a good righter.”
“I liked your stiry becuase it was funny win you
said he was collecting belly button lint.”
“I reely likt your book and pleas come back soon.”
Grade 4 Feedback, The Mabin School, Toronto
“Thanks for coming to The Mabin School and … showing us the steps needed to create a good story.”
“We are inspired by your book and how much time you put into it.”
“I really loved your presentation. I was fascinated by the stuff you had to say.”
“You inspired us to write our own stories!”
Caroline has given children’s readings and presentations at libraries, schools and festivals across Canada, including:
- Gibson Elementary, Delta BC
- Cresent Park Elementary, Dawson Creek BC
- G.W. Carlson Elementary, Fort Nelson BC
- Hudson’s Hope Elementary-Secondary, Hudson’s Hope BC
- Don Titus Elementary, Chetwynd BC
- Alwind Holland Elementary, Fort St. John BC
- Bayview Community School, Vancouver BC
- David Lloyd George Elementary School, Vancouver BC
- Point Grey High School, Vancouver BC
- Beaver Valley Community School, Thornbury ON
- St. Vincent Euphrasia School, Meaford ON
- Connaught Public School, Collingwood ON
- The Mabin School, Toronto ON
- Glebe Montessori School, Ottawa ON
- Ottawa Public Libraries, Ottawa ON
- St. Michael’s School, Burnaby BC
- Richmond Public Library, Richmond BC
- Cypress Park Elementary, West Vancouver BC
- Choice School, Richmond BC
- Word on the Street, Vancouver BC
- Christianne’s Lyceum of Art and Literature, Vancouver BC
- Ecole Simon Cunningham, Surrey BC
- Lumsden Elementary, Lumsden SK
- Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver BC
- Eden Mills Writers’ Festival, Eden Mills ON
- Yukon Writers’ Festival, Whitehorse YK